Sunday, June 10, 2007

...and then her leg fell off!

Wow. "Ruffian" is probably the most depressing horse movie I've ever seen. And it was horribly written. That's the last time I watch an ABC Saturday night movie.
Okay, so there's this horse "Ruffian" and everyone is all, "Oh, she's a queen." I guess I REALLY don't know horses, because she was pretty, but I wouldn't be worshiping her like all the stable hands were.
So she's really fast and she wins all these races, bla bla bla.
There's this other horse, a colt, Foolish Pleasure, that's also winning all these races. So everybody's all, "If Ruffian's any good, she's gonna have to beat the colt!" And there's this whole Battle of the Sexes and the black guy buys a "Ruffian" shirt (btw, it's 1974 South Carolina, and there's no discrimination of any kind? Excuse me, my grandpa still refers to blacks as the n-word and doesn't think the government should allow them to live in his neighborhood.), but then Ruffian's leg falls off.
That's right. Falls off.
Okay, it didn't really fall off, but she did break it, and you saw it hang off the rest of her leg by a little bit of skin, and whenever she picked up her foot it would flop around and you saw the bloody end of it.
It was only a little gross. But my mom and Nathan were screaming and stuff. William and I were just like, "-_-"
I knew she was going to lose the race (because of all the obvious foreshadowing. "Oh, she's ahead! THere's no way she can ever lose, yip yip yip!"), but I hadn't forseen her leg falling off.
So Ruffian goes into surgery and the weird reporter that looks like Earl on "My name is Earl" was all, "She was 11 for 11; she was ahead when she broke down."
YAY, they fix RUFFIAN!
But then she breaks her other leg.
Seriously. She's all, "Wth, why do I have a cast on my leg, WOLVES, OMGEEZZZ, AAAAAAAH!" and her other leg falls off. You don't actually see it, though, you just hear the tearful trainer saying it sadly on the phone to the owners.
I swear, when she heard Ruffian was going to die, the owner's wife started laughing. Not even kidding.
So they put Ruffian down.
Uh, hello? WHat kind of movie was that?
Why couldn't they do an inspirational film about a horse that actually WON the big race?
Although I could see why they'd want to do a movie about her. I mean, she brought a lot of attention back to horseracing and she was 10 for 10 (or 11 for 11. Whatever.) and she was the first and only horse buried at Belmont.
And I'm sure they had a lot of fun taping the leg falling off part.
But aren't horse movies supposed to be happy and wonderful? I mean, the whole "miracle" vibe wasn't exactly flowing ("Wow, she grew another leg!" "Wow, she can run even faster with only 3 legs!" "We won't put her down! We'll sew her leg back on and have her be a riding horse for little kiddies!"). It was just like, "Wth? Why'd I just spend 2 hours watching that?"
Granted, I've only seen a few racing movies in my lifetime. I know, me, the horse freak, not into horse movies.
Let's see..."Black Beauty" (not a racing movie), "Black Stallion", "Dreamer" (awwww), I STILL HAVEN'T SEEN "SEABISCUIT!"
Church was really great last night. They had this worship group from some Christian college and they were amazing; very tight harmonies.
"Are you a Majesty groupie?" "Erm, no."

No comments: