Saturday, July 26, 2008

La vie boheme

Last night I watched "Rent" for the first time with my mom and brother, and the ENTIRE time, William kept making snide comments like, "Gross, lesbians," and, "Stupid tranny. I hate Angel."
Then, when my favorite character DIES, he's giggling in the back saying, "I don't really care, I mean, this movie sucks."
And, as he says this, I'm in the back corner bawling my eyes, because this movie is SAD. How is he not sad, too??
Then, when it's over, he says, "That was it? What a dumb ending."
I don't believe this.
"There was no resolution."
??????? What are you TALKING about?? There was resolution!
"There was IMPLIED resolution. IMPLIED resolution."
Okay, I HATE it when he acts like he's SO much smarter than I am, and that his opinion is superior because he's in the "gifted" program.
But WHAT DID HE EXPECT? A "6 months later..." montage of the all the characters living happily ever after??
At the end, all the friends have found each other again, back in their apartment where they still don't have to pay rent. Mimi has been found and saved, Angel's memory will live on, Roger has inspiration, Collins rewired an ATM in memory of his dead lover, Maureen and Joanne are back together, and Mark just finished an awesome film about AIDs in New York.
THAT, my friend, is resolution.
And I guess William didn't really like it because he only watched the last half (meaning he came downstairs halfway through and said, "This sucks," multiple times, but still wouldn't leave), but the characters touched me so deeply (yeah, cliche, I know) that it weirds me out that he didn't feel any of that. Especially when Angel died. I cried for 2 hours after the movie was over. I don't know why, but I kept thinking of him as a real person.
Because he would have been really cool to have as a friend.
I don't know what's sadder; the death of a powerful fictional character, or the fact that I'm crying over the death of a powerful fictional character.

No comments: