Monday, April 30, 2007

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILER SPOILERS!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH FINALLY!
Okay, before I go on, I just want a QUICK rant on the Christian music and movie industry: Although the secular industry is JUST as biased, based on looks and other stuff, the Christian movie (AND MUSIC, music especially) lean towards the more worship based music and REALLY badly acted but clean movies, while more powerful movies go straight to DVD. Actually, there's not a lot of good Christian movies. But the ones that make it big aren't that good. And in the music industry, the more talented groups are shoved off to the side and labeled "too punky or hardcore" and hardly mentioned, and those bands either never get the attention they deserve, or conform to the more secular or worship based stuff.
Phew.
I've been thinking about that A LOT lately, and I needed to get it out of my system.
You can disagree, but most of that's true. It's not like I'm making this up.
But ANYWAY, I screened a surprisingly REALLY GOOD (okay, it was still a pretty low budget Christian film, but it was A LOT better than "Facing the Giants", which made a lot more money). It's called "Hidden Secrets", btw. Redundant, I know.

*************SPOILER ALERT, if you REALLY care, but it was good and a bit of this was surprising. Not much, but a little...**************

Okay, so it opens with this guy about to commit suicide, which I thought was really random, and then it's all about this dead guy (who died) and it's SO OBVIOUSLY the guy who committed suicide, and all his familiy (he has one sister) and friends come together and work out their issues in faith and life situations. (The weird thing that freaked me out was all, if this guy is such a positive influence, why did he shoot himself in the head??)
Characters: There is Jeremy, an ex-youth pastor (with his control-freak fiancee Rachel) who used to date Sherry, the dead guy's (Chris) sister. There's also Gary, the "half-Jewish" non-Christian stem cell researcher, Harold who's a pastor with ANOTHER control-freak wife named Rhonda, this guy who dates Rachael Lampa and has a tattoo and he's pictured as the bad boy (figures, but at least he's accepted, his name's Anthony.
And FINALLY, my favorite, MICHAEL!!!!!
Yeah. He's struggling with faith and stuff.
So they're all struggling. Maybe I should just list stuff

1. One of the things that bothered me was the CRAPPY DIALOGUE and how people said stuff that THEY SO OBVIOUSLY WOULDN'T SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like in that one Seventh Heaven episode, where she was all, "I want to convert to Christianity!" Yeah, they would say stuff like, "I'm afflicted by homosexuality," and, "My Christianity is sacred," or something. I forgot.

2. It was SO OBVIOUS that Michael was gay. Okay, that's a lie, because I only suspected he was gay when Gary all hugged him and he was like, "....awkward, cuz I like you...." But he was the one that said stuff about his "homosexuality", and it's like, "Most people would say 'gay'."

3. Jeremy is engaged to Rachel, but he wants Sherry. WHO WILL HE CHOOSE? *gasp* And Rachel is all, "WE HAVE TO WORK THIS OUT, YOU WANT ME!" Ooooor not. And there was this whole thing on how Rachel and Sherry look SOOO much alike, while Sherry was pretty hawt and Rachel was pretty nawt.

4. Of course he chooses Sherry because God told him he was to marry her. And His Will never changes (THANK YOU!!!!!!!).

5. Only, at the end of the movie, instead of coming to terms with God, he says, "Thank you, Chris," ???????????? Um, Chris is dead. He didn't do anything but party in heaven while you were rubbing foreheads with his sister.

6. Yeah, the kitchen scene where they rub foreheads? Supposed to be romantic. So not. Just really weird. "I still love you. *rub rub*" "BUT I CAN'T! *rub rub, sob sob*" "Fine! *rub rub, drive away*

7. Harold's wife Rhonda is really judgemental and is all trying to convert Gary, and I was like, "OMGEEZ," because she was like two of the people in my church. Like one of them had become a man and they'd had a Love child and named her Rhonda. It was WEIRD.

8. And Rhonda kept trying to convert Gary and had this whole script planned out, like about the prophecies about Jesus, and Gary knew like all the prophecies. He'd totally memoirized it. It was so cool. And then she kept going on and on about how stem cell research was abortion and murder and blood and BAD, and it's like, "yeah, but give her a break."

9. But she represented judgemental Christians SO WELL. Especially with the whole, "You're SO lucky you live in a red state. I tried to get Harold to move to a red state, but we figured it would just turn blue, so we decided to turn the blue state red." But it was just like, she's one of the people that gives Christianity a bad name, like I'd talked with Ashley.

10. On abortion: Sherry had one after getting pregnant with another guy, causing her to break up with Jeremy, and she's really offended at Rhonda's mentions of it every 5 seconds (cuz Rhonda is pregnant, and hormonal, and the love child of some church people I know).

11. I liked this better than Facing the Giants cuz it wasn't all perfect. Not everybody was a Christian and God didn't suddenly appear and chase away the clouds and all was perfect.
I'm not saying God doesn't work, but there are times where it's like, "WHERE ARE YOU????" And just because you do good doesn't mean He'll specifically bless you and life will go on rosey-awesomeness. I'm not being too clear, if you really want to debate, I'll explain better later.

12. I got kind of mad when Gary became a Christian at the end because THAT'S SO UNBELIEVABLE! It's not like I would've been "happier" had he stayed Atheist "half-Jewish", but it's more realistic. Sorry, it's true.

13. It turns out the guy at the beginning going to commit suicide was Michael, because he thought God hadn't forgiven him for being gay earlier on (they didn't specify, but it's kind of like, "no duh"), not like he wasn't still gay, ANYWAY, but then Sherry called him to say Chris was dead and he was SAVED.

Yeah. It was good. GO WATCH IT. Better than FTG. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

2 comments:

RRock_With_It said...

I don't think that's so unbelievable. Lee Strobel was a hardcore atheist.

Lauren said...

i just meant that in real life he wouldn't go from atheist to Christian in one weekend just by being surrounded by Christians. Sure, he COULD, but is it likely? No, it would be more realistic if he hadn't.