Thursday, January 10, 2008

The nature of...bubbly teenage girls that don't wear pink?

Today was sort of an off day. I've been in a perpetually bad mood. It started with me waking up too early because I thought there was jazz band, but forgot it was a Thursday. I did like seeing the slush outside, though. It snowed...AGAIN! It snowed on Tuesday, too, which was pretty much amazing. We got more snow than Seabeck! Bam!
Argh, it started with that stupid "Becoming Beka" book. You know I hate Christian fiction, and when I started reading, found it boring, and then found out it was Christian fiction, I should have just put it down. Even if it had been a normal book about depression and anger, it was badly written, I did NOT sympathize with Beka, and the Christian aspect just made things worse. It made non-Christians seems all the same: slutty, sarcastic alchoholics that have horrible relationships with everyone around them, and Christians seemed perfect. ??? That's not how it is, and I loved how they pointed that out towards the end of the book, but it was kind of like, "*cough cough* Hypocrite! *cough cough*" And I know that when people become Christians, they often say, "I'm a totally different person now." I know what that means, and I think it's cool, but non-Christian Beka and Christian Beka seemed like two totally different people. I know people change, and that God changes people, but it honestly seemed like the author got bored with delinquent Beka and wrote a new version of her. And Beka questioning other people's hearts and asking why they didn't wear "I love Jesus" T-shirts to school was considered a good thing???
Then I got fired up about a book my mom got on how pop culture stereotypes little girls and is stealing their childhood, but I'll only say a little on that: why is it that girls can't be all girly now? I realize the whole "prep" stereotype and that it comes down to either preppies or losers, but if my little girl was interested in clothes more so than sports and running in the dirt, WHY IS THAT BAD? It's not necessarily the media; EVERYONE'S DIFFERENT! And they kept harping on pink and how girly-girl's and femininity was bad and sporty girls are good. Stereotype much? I also sort of took it personally. I like shopping and boys, and they called me a slut. Hello? I don't wear pink. Thanks.
Orange Tootsie Pops are therapeutic, I think.
Agh, it's like I've been getting mad at everything lately, AND IT'S NOT PMS!!! You can feel like crap and be in a bad mood and NOT HAVE IT BE PMS! I'm living proof, seeing as I'm in a bad mood practically all the time, not just every 28 days. Rethinking youth group tonight, because I want to make a good impression, and I don't want to bite anyone's head off.
And I don't think I'll fit in, but hey. I gotta go sometime.

No comments: