Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Life lessons from "Matlock".

Aaargh, my dad and I are going at it again.
Well, that's not true, because we haven't fought yet, but he's sort of pressuring me about worship team and music in general.
For instance, he thinks I'm not serious about bass (guilty: I'd love to be good at it, but I don't want to put in the effort to play more than roots of chords) and says if I ever want to play in church, I'm going to have to join the youth worship team.
So basically, he wants me to join a cult.
That's PRACTICALLY what it is!!
Okay, and he did point out that compared to the youth band at our last church, this one seems quite tame and is probably more structured, but from what I've heard, the people in it are rather clique-y and, what's more, the music they play SUCKS.
Only I am tempted to join because John is in it now and I'd get to hang with him, and there's this whole jealousy factor with William because he plays bass a whole BUNCH with them and I feel that I'm just as good as he is.
But I don't know why my dad is so ADAMANT about me joining them.
I'm sort of getting mixed messages from him music-wise, because a few months ago he was trying to dissuade me from ever playing bass in the worship team.
Then, in the car on the way back home from Pullman, I asked about music scholarships in general terms and my dad basically told me I'd never, ever get one unless I pulled an Amby and joined a million freaking symphonies and majored in music.
WHICH I'M NOT INTERESTED IN DOING! It's just that I love music and we can't pay for college, and Mr. Villiers told me in 7th grade that I could PROBABLY get a trombone scolarship if I kept playing.
WHICH I INTEND TO DO!!
So who's right here??
And now there's some nonsense about lessons (for trombone or bass...or both), and I was always one of those big-headed losers who thought I was too good for lessons.
Maybe so for trombone (or maybe I'm just stuck-up), but I'm thinking I could definitely use a little help on bass.
Good news, though: Dean is finally letting me play in the horn section.
I'm sort of offended, though, because the only reason he's letting me play is "the new music isn't too difficult".
If you really think that badly of my playing, I'd rather you left me out of the worship team for good.
-_-
I'm sort of addicted to Sims 2 now, thanks to my "Rent" Sims.
Maureen and Joanne were my first gay couple.
Although Collins and Angel got married before they did (Maureen and Joanne are still engaged).
Alison (Benny's wife) just had a baby, but her dad (the baby's grandpa) is going to die soon if I don't fill up his aspiration meter, which I've purposefully neglected because all he wants to do is buy expensive things.
Haha, they named the kid Evita.
Now Mark is dating some random girl (though he and Maureen are still in love - oops), Mimi has ye tto move in and meet Roger, and Benny is going to take over the business world.

No comments: