Thursday, January 29, 2009

Cooking lesson #1: Chocolate cake shouldn't taste like pickles

After reading "Cupcake" by Rachel Cohn, and inspired by Cyd Charisse's baking antics, I got a massive craving for homemade chocolate cupcakes with espresso frosting.
Seriously. I don't even like coffee.
But I've never made homemade cupcakes. Just the box kind.
And my mom has a bunch of old-school recipes, so I was pretty excited when I got home from school to make these suckers.
The recipe was pretty simple. REALLY simple, actually. It had one step: dump all the ingredients in the bowl and stir.
Then bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.
It was going good until I found we didn't have any "salad oil".
Who calls it salad oil anymore? I was thinking olive oil, but my mom said it was vegetable oil, which we didn't have.
So I ended up using olive oil anyway.
I added the rest of the ingredients and stirred it all up.
The batter was sort of lumpy, but smelled a lot like these brownies I used to make all the time. Read: they smelled GOOOOOOOD.
And since there were no eggs in the recipe, I figured it wouldn't be too bad if I took a little taste.
BIG MISTAKE.
For some odd reason, the batter tasted like pickles, rather than the chocolate I so desperately craved.
And it was still really lumpy.
The vinegar and baking soda were reacting like a fifth grade science experiment.
The entire mixture was the consistency of soup. Really runny soup.
So right now it's in the oven and we'll see how it turns out.
But delicious cupcakes will have to wait.

No comments: