Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Maureen Johnson: bisexual performance artist or best-selling novelist?

When I saw books by "Maureen Johnson" at the library, I started screaming, because that's the name of Idina Menzel's character in "Rent".
I thought it was either a STRANGE coincidence or some rabid Renthead had gone a little too far in the search for a good pen name.
But no, it was just a strange coincidence.
How is it that she writes a meaningful true-to-life book like "The Bermudez Triangle" one day and shovels out crap like "Suite Scarlett", "13 Little Blue Envelopes", and "Girl At Sea" the next?
"The Key to the Golden Firebird" was all right.
I've never read "Devilish". Must be new.
She also had a new book come out where she cowrites with John Green (author of "Looking for Alaska" and "An Abundance of Katherines", which was pure genius) and Lauren Myracle (author of "Kissing Kate" and "TTYL", who isn't fantastic but isn't bad either). I was so tempted NOT to buy it.
But, for John Green, I might.
Truman Capote. "A Christmas Memory" was beautiful. And I'm not saying that from a stuffy, artsy, "I go to CK and am in Extra-AP English" point of view.
But this is the first story of his I've read and he managed to break my heart in 6 pages.
Oh no. It's about the devil.
I'm already reading "The Host".
I don't think I can handle any more talk about souls and devils and love and crap.
Jesse L. Martin is fantastic.
"Momma's Boys" was entertaining at first, but ultimately disheartening. Jojo's mom, Mrs. B, ended up being REALLY racist and all the non-white girls started crying, and their estrogen traveled through the TV and made me and my mom start crying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this blog, for its layout, theme, content, and topic. I think the author did a great job! Can you try out my "Free Internet Speed Test" blog? All comments appreciated!

--->Free Internet Speed Test<---