Monday, November 20, 2006

Random person: Martha and Mary. Ooh, that sounds romantic. Me: Yeah...sure...whatever...

WHAT IS UP WITH PEOPLE AND MARY MAGDELENE? Besides the fact that she was allegedly Jesus' wife (oh, by the way, those allegations? TOTAL CRAP!!!). BUT COME ON! When girls are asked who their "favorite" spiritual Bible woman was, they either say RUTH, cuz she was romantic (Oooh, yeah, wheat, that is SOOOO sexy right there.), or Mary. WHY MARY? They act like she was the COOLEST PERSON IN THE BIBLE. THE BEST SPIRITUAL EXAMPLE FOR ALL OF US. YEAH RIGHT. What about Deborah? What about Peter? What about PAUL, for crying out loud? Noooo, Mary is the rockingest Bible chick.
Whatever.
But what REALLY, REALLY ticks me off is that her sister MARTHA is ALWAYS played off as a crappy, non-spiritual Martha Stewart while Mary is pretty much worshiped (hello, Leo da Vinci?). Okay, not worshiped, but it's always like, "Don't be like Martha, cuz she's dumb." Um, yeah right. I read John 11 over the summer about Lazarus. HELLO? Martha comes up to Jesus: John 11:21: "Lord," Martha said to Jesus. "If you had been here, my brother would not have died." Why is that suddenly played off as a bad thing? Maybe it's cuz I take things LITERALLY and am probably too STUPID and NOT INTELLECTUAL for y'all. But I see that as she comes to Jesus, she's flipping SAD about her brother, he just DIED, and she says, "If you had been here, my brother would not have died." Sure, I guess you could say that shows disappointment, but doesn't that also show trust? Belief that Jesus really is the Son of God and could stop even death? And then she says, "I believe that you are Christ, the Son of God, who has come into the world." Prattling off the right answer...or maybe she really believes that?
Ooooh, here comes the best part. When Mary sees Jesus, she says the SAME THING AS MARTHA. "If you had been here, my brother would not have died." Huh. So it's okay to slam MARTHA for that, but not MARY. Cuz MARY'S too perfect for all of us.
If all of you that actually read this sad excuse for a web page are suddenly all, "Huh? Wth?" sorry, it's just that this has REALLY BEEN BOTHERING ME and it has bothered me for a while, but it kind of peaked when we went over that chapter in youth group.
I still love half days. Even though I wasted away about half my day on the TV. No Narnia for me. Dang.
I am apparently unable to feel empathy for anyone else. I wonder if there's a word that means that... There probably is, I just can't think of it. If it's "unempathetic", I will kill myself. And I know sympathy is different from empathy, but I'm having a hard time with BOTH. Hmmm, searching, searching, searching... AAAH, here we go: aloof (I guess?), cool (not in some meanings of the word), uncaring (sure), unfriendly (not unless I'm in a really bad mood and you yell at me or something. Then I will assuredly kill you/kick your butt).
Apoof. That should be a word. Apoof.

No comments: