Sunday, November 30, 2008

Robots are just as sympathetic

Have you ever wondered what one should do to acquire a shopping cart? How much do they cost? If you weren't going to steal one or pull one out of a dump, could you walk into a grocery store and ask for one? Or would you have to buy it? "Yes, well, I need a shopping cart to put all my personal belongings in."
My new coat looks like a trenchcoat. I look like Carmen Sandiego, only not as hot. I think everyone had a secret crush on Carmen. If they didn't, why would they spend so much looking for her?
Homeless people make me sad. Not, "Oh, wow, that's depressing, I'll go buy a coffee and sip melancholy-like", or, "Those pathetic losers, spending all their money on cigs," sad. A woman came up to me today sobbing because she didn't have any pads. She wanted $5 to go buy some and I FROZE.
Then I started to cry.
The ones with the shopping carts are so stoic, too, like, "Yeah, that's life." Some have dogs that look up dolefully at you, like, "Sure, it sucks, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else."
I saw one a couple months ago who was holding a sign that said, "Anything helps, even a smile." It was weird and kind of touching to see an optimist who saw cheapskates walking by, smiling guiltily, and smiled back at them because anything DID help.
I only gave that woman a couple of cents.
I had a 5 dollar bill in my pocket.

No comments: