Thursday, August 06, 2009

The main character becomes much less attractive when revealed to be short.

Heh. Harry Potter.
After a nightmare planning, I finally saw HP6 with my dad and Emma.
Car rides with them is always sooooooooo fun...what with no one talking.
And then we got to the theater and it was attack of the Introverted Feeler Perceivers.
"Do you want popcorn?"
"I don't know, do you want popcorn?"
"Well, sorta. Does Emma want popcorn?"
"Um, no, that's okay."
"No, it's okay, I'll buy some. How about soda?"
"Nah. Do you want soda?"
"Well....yes."
"Buy some."
"Okay."
"And some popcorn."
"You want popcorn."
"Yes."
"Okay, I bought popcorn, but I didn't get butter."
"Oh."
"Oh no! Did you want butter?"
"Don't worry, I'll get some. Would you like some popcorn, Emma?"
Fun times.
And then we had to decide where to sit...
"Is this okay?"
"Um, sure. Do YOU think it's okay?"
And so on.
Previews. Still my favorite part.
They made a Sherlock Holmes movie? And it's an ACTION movie? Whaaaat?
But...it has Jude Law. :)
It also has Rachel McAdams. :(
And Robert Downey, Jr. :/
Meaning I'll probably go see it when it comes out.
But the movie ended up being REALLY GOOD.
Harry Potter, not "Great Scot!: The Sherlocke Holmes Adventure".
Which I thought was weird, considering David Yates is the one who gave us "Order of the Phoenix", yet managed to produce this 3-and-a-half star film.
Wow, David. What prompted this change?
And there were a few things.
But I'm probably the only one who had a problem with them. Because, yes, I tend to overexaggerate things.
But I don't care. There are times when it's "going overboard"...and there are times when some people *cough cough* should just ADMIT "August Rush" was terrible and leave it at that.
I like Michael Gambon, but not as Dumbledore. He would've made a good Gandalf...but it's too late for that now.
Ugh, Emma Watson. When in doubt, close-up on Hermione's crying face!
She can't even cry! Terrible actress.
At least her thing with Ron was somewhat believable. It was a little hard to believe in the other movies when she would continually throw herself at Harry.
I think they finally just told her to stop.
Hate. Hate. Hate. Hermione is supposed to be smart.
Tom Felton was brilliant.
Rupert Grint is, sadly, the best of the three, but not too bad. Might even be verging on good!
Little boy Voldemort was creepy and morose and sort of annoying.
Teenage Voldemort was FANTASTIC, and reminded me of a combination of David Bowie and Lord Sebastian Flyte.
So evil. It was great.
Slughorn was more of a fop than a pompous old windbag, but a funny fop. Perfect for the part.
Wow, when did Hogwarts receive its shipment of fantasically hot guys?
The movie was pretty much excellent all the way through, UNTIL THEY KILLED DUMBLEDORE!!
Not that I didn't know it was going to happen.
But Snape?
They sort of left out all of Harry's suspicions about Snape, assuming that everyone knew how much Harry distrusted and hated Snape.
But most of the movie was focused on his distrust and hatred for Malfoy. Hm.
And I guess they put in the Unbreakable Vow scene. But still.
So Alan Rickman kills Dumbledore like it's no big deal.
Then the Death Eaters LEAVE THE PREMISES, without even so much as a goodbye or a magical battle of some sort.
Well, Bellatrix was busy freaking out. But she always does that. Ugh, that's another thing: Helena Bonham-Carter. It's like she wants her character to be Jack Sparrow of the wizarding world. I think she's just mad that Tim Burton loves Johnny Depp more than he loves her. Still, mimicking Johnny Depp in a HARRY POTTER MOVIE doesn't seem to be doing her much good. Sooooo annoying.
So the Death Eaters go away, leaving Harry with Snape, and Harry's being Harry (even though Daniel Radcliffe managed not to be too useless in his movie and left the annoying whiny grunty groany thing he does when he gets upset at home), cursing him all emotionally.
And Snape's just casually deflecting.
Harry calls him a coward, and you can see Snape's face is full of pain, and you're waiting for him to snap and turn on Harry, admitting his shocking secret, LIKE HE DID IN THE BOOK.
Only he turns to Harry, after cursing him, and goes, and a FLAT, EMOTIONLESS VOICE, "How dare you use one of my own spells against me. That's right. I'm the Half-Blood Prince."
Or something to that effect. Then he SAUNTERS off into the darkness.
It sort of ruined the movie.
But then Harry went back to the Astronomy Tower and all the students were gathered around crying over Dumbledore's body.
Another close-up of Hermione's hideous crying face.
Then Harry goes up to the body and starts to cry. I started to get a little choked-up.
Then all the students raised their wands as a silent tribute to the fallen Dumbledore, and it was the cheesiest thing I've ever seen in my life, but I cried anyway.
Only I was sitting next to my dad, who doesn't cry EVER, and Emma, who gets embarrassed easily, so I didn't start bawling in my seat.
Best Harry Potter movie YET!
I'm so stoked for "Deathly Hallows".
It's just...there's SO MUCH.
They did really good with this movie, but they still had to cut out quite a bit (ahem. Tonks and Lupin!?!? All of a sudden, they're a couple!? What is this?).
And they are splitting the last book into two movies, because there's so much stuff.
But what if it sucks, like #4 and #5 did?
Or is boring, like the first two?
Argh. It's not coming out for a year...plenty of time...what'll I do until then?

No comments: