Saturday, August 01, 2009

Brideshead revisited...again

I can just hear a certain pastor's favorite joke, "The Department of Redundancy Department".
A&E said "Brideshead Revisited" wasn't that good, and I'd heard that the relationship of Sebastian and Charles was super flamboyant compared to the book.
It really wasn't that bad.
Charles and Sebastian kissed once, and Charles wasn't even that into it.
Sebastian and Anthony were apparently a couple (? not sure if that's true) before Charles showed up, and within 10 minutes of the film's beginning, we get a kiss from the couple.
I freaked out, more because THEY DIDN'T DATE IN THE BOOK.
It was still a little like, "Hellooooo, Anthony, good to see you...even though you have a moustache!"
Seriously, the moustache grossed me out. I'd pictured sideburns, not a moustache.
What bugged me was that Julia kept popping up and made this weird love triangle between Charles, Sebastian, and herself.
Ugh, I hated her. She couldn't act, and she wasn't even cute!
AND IT WASN'T IN THE BOOK!
Julia and Charles didn't have this epic love that stretched across time. He wasn't interested in her while he was with Sebastian. They didn't have this cutesy forbidden love that "wasn't meant to be"!
Ugh, it was so stupid and disgusting to watch. I guess it worked out pretty well for the director, since Charles' "betrayal" drove Sebastian to drink.
Since the book didn't give a reason, they couldn't leave it all vague. No, it had to be cinematic and theatrical.
Ridiculous.
Other than that, it stayed pretty true to the book.
Emma Thompson was CRAZY. She should play a psycho more often.
My mouth dropped open when I saw Lord Marchmain.
Because I hadn't expected Dumbledore.
And he's not allowed to do any movies besides Harry Potter, of course.
When it came to Catholicism, it seemed ironic that Sebastian, the homosexual dipsomaniac, came the closest. He admitted he needed God's love. Whether or not he found it...he did live with those monks. Cordelia basically said that was good enough, since it was a kind of faith, which went against everything her religion had taught her.
I never thought of Cordelia as stupid, the way the movie portrayed her. But oh well.
Bridey was perfect: ignorant, rude, determined, etc.
When Sebastian moved to Morocco...
It was a poignant scene in the movie, and I was too busy thinking how hot he looked.
Then I started to tear up, because Charles was crying whilst keeping a stiff upper lip. Those British.
It was weird how the movie ended without hope. Sure, Charles learned to RESPECT the altar and the faith, but he walked away after, probably never to be seen again. He just faded away, like the Indians in "Lagaan". Wow. Talk about crappy endings.
And now dinner.
How is it that it's hard to articulate in words what something means to you, but it's easy to write it down...in words?
Doesn't make sense.
Because it was hard to describe the movie to my mom, but if she'd asked me to write it down...
Obviously a career in public speaking isn't in my future. Oh darn.

No comments: