Monday, February 23, 2009

WE WANT YOU!

Wow. It has been an insane week.
The teachers decided to bombard us with random projects and essays, so I've been really busy.
And I got sick. Again.
The second my teacher mentioned a virus going around the school, I started sneezing my brains out.
Thanks, Mr. Hurd.
Wow. No wonder the "Rent" movie flopped. I saw a recording of the last performance last night and...wow. Coarse, yeah. My parents were flinching at every F-word and put their foot down on watching the "sex scene". (I watched it later and it's a little offensive, but there is no nudity, just sexual dialogue. And I got what Jonathan Larson was trying to show. These three couples' relationships have been strained recently and a night of bad sex is the last straw for all of them. And I'm still the same no-sex-before-marriage person I was before, so while I don't condone that, I understand it. My mom thought it was showing how all the relationships were based only on sex, but I disagree.) And it was so much more powerful, open, and raw than the movie ever could have been (no offense, Chris Columbus. Nice try.). Mark was an actual, 3-dimensional character, not just a background image. Benny seemed like a worthwhile person who'd bought in the system, but still loved his friends more than anything and would have done anything for them. And Roger, my least favorite character from the movie, was less of an arrogant, angsty jerk and more of a human being. You could see that he had trouble opening up, was scared of what the future would bring, and your heart broke when you saw him lose the one thing (or person) that made him so happy.
And, since it was the last performance, the original cast came up on the stage afterward and everyone was bawling through a rendition of "Seasons of Love". That's when I lost it.
And as much as Jonathan Larson hated Christians, the church, and religion, his parents were some of the nicest, most open, and loving "religious" people ever. It was great to see them with all the cast members, regardless of sexuality or whatnot. And they were so proud of their son and it sucks to think he never got to see how many people he reached with his musical.
Dustin Lance Black's acceptance speech for "Milk" last night reminded me of the musical, because he was gay, and had always hoped that he would one day fall in love and get married. But the part that hit me the most was when he gave a shout out to all the gay and lesbian teens and told them that they were beautiful and that God did, in fact, love them. And I just started crying, because it's true, but a lot of Christians don't think that, and even those that do have a hard time showing it, because the media assumes that if we hold our stance on gay marriage, we somehow hate gays, but it's not true.
And, just like it's possible for Christians to love non-Christians, it's possible for Christians (or regular people) to be gay. It's not right, I do think it's a sin, but they're not faking their love.
Just saying.
Phew. Now to rant about something else.
Ugh, like "Twice Upon a Marigold". "Once Upon a Marigold" has been my favorite book for 6 years, and when I saw the sequel at Borders, I just about had a stroke. Then I read it, and while it was okay, it seemed a little pointless. Jean Farris only wrote the book because fans wanted to know what happened next, and I felt like she didn't really answer that question, which was irritating. I never wanted "Once Upon a Marigold" to end; I couldn't wait for "Twice Upon a Marigold" to end.
Oh, and I am in love with Peter Abrahams. His Echo Falls series is the bomb. It's hard for me to put down his books.
Laaaaame two of my best friends started dating. They're a good fit for each other, and they seem really happy, but it is SO awkward to hang out with them as a couple. It was even more awkward when I was the third wheel at a sort-of date. It was like they were more comfortable with me there, but they didn't actually want me there. They didn't want me to leave, but they weren't going to make it easy. So I just left.
And I've noticed a bunch of my girlfriend's think is totally okay behavior, to invite friends along on their dates. WHAT THE HECK?? One of my friends kept avoiding dates with her boyfriend, stating, "It would be too awkward if it was just us."
??????
SO?????? Isn't that the point? "I'd be more comfortable if you were there."
??????
I'M NOT YOUR BOYFRIEND.
Yeah, fun weekend. "Rent" was so worth it, though. Why did it have to close???

No comments: