Thursday, June 11, 2009

Angry body language means she WANTS to be flirted with!

Yes, that what it means.
Not.
DO NOT TOUCH ME.
Argh. One of those days that kept flipflopping. There were really good moments, followed by really frustrating moments.
We had to give an oral book report today, where, following a brief overview of the book, we'd answer the questions he gave us.
Of course, not thinking clearly, I chose "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides.
I had, after all, spent four hours finishing it the night before, and, though not perfect, was a great book.
And, yes, it was about a hermaphrodite.
That was probably my first mistake.
But the book report went fine. Yeah, some people freaked out because a hermaphrodite has *gasp* a penis AND a vagina! And the oh-so-subtle guys in the back were making fun of me the entire time.
But my friends thought it was cool, albeit freakish, a couple people asked questions, and Mr. Rosendale had read the book before and didn't give me any crap, so that helped.
And I honestly didn't care what they thought anyway.
Okay, I sort of cared.
But, then again, if I'd REALLY cared, I would have done a different book.
When I was finished, however, one of my least favorite people commented loudly, either too stupid to remember that I was a few feet away (understandable, she is a cheerleader), or bitchy enough to say this (strongly, STRONGLY leaning towards the latter), made the remark that I must read books like this because they make me feel better about myself.
-_- And a girl who called herself my friend thought this was hilarious. She laughed. Which felt great.
And whenever people make comments like this, people are quick to assure you that that person is just JEALOUS, and obviously so insecure that she has to take it out on someone like you.
That doesn't erase what she said, however.
And I feel all mad and self-righteous, and, "Oh well, at least I know HOW to read," and stupid, smart-kid comebacks keep popping up in my head.
Because of course I can't think of anything better.
And even though I say all that, I don't mean it, which I find unfair. I've NEVER had to refer to the stupid popularity dichotomy and though cheerleaders do tend to be idiots, I don't bury myself in clothes from Hot Topic and emo music so I can make fun of their stupidity and conformity like some (I do that in regular clothes).
But when she said that, it put me in that "Us vs. Them" mindset, where I thought because she's popular she thinks she's entitled to look down on "us nerds".
I really thought that.
And, speaking of stereotypes, I AM a nerd. I rely way too much on my "brains" and look down on "stupid people" and am not always the nicest person to be around. So even though she said that thing about me, I say things about her (though not always outloud, or at least not PUBLIC), so the only reason I'm mad is because I'M jealous of HER.
Which isn't fair but is sort of true.
Aaagh it's so complicated, yet simple, and contradictory, and for these reasons I hate high school girls, but I find this really depressing because that makes me the angsty, unpopular emo chick instead of the nice, well-rounded, not-bitchy, interesting I'd like to be.
And the so-called "balance" between the two isn't a great mixture.
So all that crap I just typed means nothing. I just had to vent.
I did see "Up" yesterday, which made me cry, but was also fantastic. Pixar's best movie, and way better than anything Dreamworks has ever done.
But I'll focus on that when I'm done pouting.
For now, I'll just listen to music and/or Tyler telling me how overdramatic I'm being and how I took what she said completely out of context. Sounds like a fun afternoon.

No comments: